Monday, November 17, 2014

First Trip to the American Girl Outlet Store!

It's been a little over a week now since I took a pilgrimage to Oshkosh, Wisconsin to the American Girl Outlet Store. People have mixed feelings over whether or not it's worthwhile to go there, as potentially you'd have to spend a lot on gas, hotel, rental car, etc.. But if, like me, your goal was to get a lot of retired stuff for much cheaper than you can get it on eBay, it's totally worth it! (Well, and also if, like me, you live close enough to get there and back in one day and on one tank of gas.)

It was early October 2014 when I decided to start collecting American Girl, and I wanted to start with the New Orleans girls (Cecile and Marie Grace) and all of their stuff. I went merrily on my way to americangirl.com and learned the hard way that they'd been retired two months earlier, and their stuff had been discounted so much that every seasoned collector of AG was already sick of seeing it. I, on the other hand, who wanted it all and had none, was left to fend for myself and find it all on eBay, overpriced and every listing screaming "OMG RETIRED! THEREFORE I AM SELLING IT FOR TRIPLE WHAT I PAID! Because it's retired!!!!!!"

I was basically out of luck, until I heard through the AG grapevine that a lot of Cecile and Marie Grace stuff was at the mythical, magical outlet in mythical, magical Wisconsin. So it became my goal to get there before Black Friday (I figured it might all sell out then?) and buy literally every Cecile and Marie Grace item they had. And also every retired Addy item they had, too, because I'm also trying to get most of her collection at the same time.

I read message boards, watched videos, and looked at pictures taken in the past month of others who had been at the outlet store, and figured the outlet store would have the courtyard furniture (my grail item), Marie Grace's vanity, both nightgowns, both holiday dresses, Cecile's parlor outfit, and all the "fancy" items -- the mardi gras costume stuff. That's what everyone said they had! But I got there and found completely different stuff, which goes to show you can't really plan on what's going to be in stock there.

Here's my loot! Addy was proud of the AG mountain.


The Marie Grace and Cecile items I ended up with were:
- Half Canopy Bed (!!! Huge surprise, and more than 50% off original price)
- Parlor Desk (also not expected, also more than 50% off original price)
- Vanity (50% off original price)
- Glassware and Treats (almost didn't even see it, and ended up being more than 75% off original price!)
- Cecile's nightwear ($10 off)
- Cecile's parlor outfit (50% off)
- Fairy costume accessories (50% off)
- Fancy dress (50% off)
- Marie Grace's nightgown (50% off)

Unfortunately, they didn't have the courtyard furniture, but I was so glad to get the half canopy bed instead. I assume they won't get any more courtyard furniture, and, FYI, I got the last bed, the last desk, and the last vanity they had as well, so as far as I know, they are officially out of Cecile and Marie Grace furniture now, unless someone returns something.

It was a lot of money to spend at once, but I saved SO MUCH compared to if I had to buy it on eBay. So I was really thrilled. The outlet store is officially awesome and amazing AND SO WORTH GOING in my opinion!

I also accidentally bought:
- Boxed set of 6 Samantha books ($10)
- Boxed set of 6 Kirsten books ($10)
- Addy's winter accessories ($6 off)
- Addy's birthday outfit ($7 off)
- Ruthie's holiday dress ($8 off)
- Caroline's party set ($20 off)
- Saige's sweater set (50% off)
- Pretty Pink Coat set (50% off)
- Cozy Sweater outfit (50% off)

Yes, total accident.

Now, I'm still new to AG, but I'm pretty sure everything I got at the outlet store is retired, which makes me really happy! It's all stuff that I love, and wouldn't want to go searching for in the future on eBay, only to pay a lot more.

I plan on going to the MCM Benefit Sale next July, and will probably go back for round two at the outlet store then. I can't wait! I'm such a sucker for deals.

I'll do a review of EVERYTHING in the coming days/weeks/whatever, so keep an eye out!

No comments:

Post a Comment