Saturday, December 13, 2014

Rebecca's School Play Set Review

I wanted to hurry up and get this review posted before December 31st, when this outfit will no longer be available!

If I had started collecting American Girl earlier in the year, I would have bought Rebecca's and Kaya's Limited Edition outfits this year, and maybe Kit's, too. But since it's almost the end of the year, I decided just to get my favorite one, Rebecca's! I was expecting these outfits to go on sale after all the huge year-end sales, but it didn't. Even if it had, I would have been okay with paying full price, because I absolutely love this outfit!

The outfit part of the set comes with a dress, wings, a headband, and satin ballet flats.

Detail of the fabric of the dress.

Detail of the wings. Some people are unhappy about the gold being printed on instead of embroidered, but I think it's still stunningly beautiful! It's just perfectly eye-catching, shiny, and gorgeous!

Here's my one problem with the set... one of the shoes is a lot smaller than the other. You can see the toes of the doll on one foot and not the other. Unless my Cecile has super huge feet? The shoes were also difficult to get on because they are so small.

You can kind of see the heel of the doll's foot barely even fits into the smaller shoe (foreground), compared to the larger shoe (background).

In the AG stock pictures of this outfit, Rebecca is wearing the headband farther down on her forehead, which I think is really cute! But I couldn't get it to stay on Cecile's head like that. It is really lightweight plastic and would just slip right up and off her head. It stayed on a lot easier worn like a traditional headband, but you can tell by the end of this photoshoot it was sliding up off Cecile's head anyway.

Here is the dress without the wings.

I love the gold sleeves!

And I seriously love the fabric and color of the dress.

Back view.

Here is the dress with the wings added. You just tie the gold bow ribbon around the doll's waist (it fastens with velcro) and the wings are attached!

The gold bow adds cuteness to the dress!


Side view of the dress with wings attached. It sticks out a little weirdly.

But I think the shape is really cute from the back!

Ta-da!

The wings attach to the doll's thumbs with tiny little elastic loops...

Here are the thumb loops!

Did I mention I love this costume?

The set also comes with a little box of accessories. The box is red with gold and says 1914, Rebecca's year.

Every side of the box is decorated with gold.

The box won't stay open by itself, but it has a mirror inside, and holds her two makeup containers, her makeup brush, and the program to the play she is wearing her costume for!

Rouge, blending powder, the soft bristle brush, and the program.

The brush is for the rouge, and the powder has its own application sponge.

The details on the pieces are so great!

I give this set an A, almost an A+, but I am disappointed with the too small shoes. I think the dress and wings are drop dead gorgeous, but I wish the headband wasn't such lightweight plastic. The accessories aren't incredibly useful to me as a collector (versus a child who would play with it), but they will make cute accessories in Rebecca's bedroom, which I plan to make in a dollhouse eventually.

2 comments:

  1. I love that set, but I think AG overpriced it. I would get it if it wasn't so expensive, though. =)
    ~Abigail

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks like such a fun set. I like the slit in the back of the dress, neat detail. The shoe problem reminds me of the pink satin flats from an old retired Elizabeth gown. The problems are pretty much the same. :P
    Love your reviews. Your pictures are just gorgeous. ^_^
    ~Adi

    ReplyDelete